Research and Development
ROHM is focused on the development of new technologies with an eye towards the next generation, for example by o ering breakthrough products and implementing R&D that strikes an optimized balance between materials, design engineering, production technology, and improved quality.
Surface Emitting Laser Diodes
Surface emitting laser diodes that can achieve a narrower divergence beam is currently being developed.
A new laser oscillation mechanism (resonator) is being introduced using nanofabrication technologies, making it possible to generate high-directivity beams.
These laser diodes are expected to be adopted in proximity sensors and for distance measurement.
- Generates extremely narrow divergence beams
- Simplies optical systems (i.e. for lenses)
- Surface light emission allows for thinner packages
- Proximity Sensors
- Distance Measurement
- Infrared Light Sources
Terahertz Wave Device
ROHM is developing compact terahertz wave solid-state devices of operating at room temperature.
High frequency operation makes them ideal for high-speed wireless communication and terahertz wave non-destructive inspection.
- Oscillation and detection at room temperature using a resonant tunneling diode
- Compact and simple terahertz device
- Ultra-high-speed Wireless Communication
- Food Inspection
- Non Destructive Imaging
Soil Environmental Sensors
LAPIS Semiconductor has developed soil environmental sensors for social infrastructure and IT agriculture monitoring, and is conducting experiments towards improving agricultural productivity, disaster prevention, and infrastructure monitoring.
- Integrated semiconductor-based sensor provides simple, real-time soil monitoring
- Compact, monolithic sensor measures PH (acidity/alkalinity), EC (electrical conductivity), and soil temperature
- Enables practical evaluation of solutions for social infrastructure and smart agriculture
- Social Infrastructure Monitoring
- Smart/IT Agriculture
- Healthcare and Wearables